I got the lathe setup and running. I ended up building a cart for it, so I could move it around the shop. Its a bit rough, after getting it setup, its pretty clear that this tool needs some TLC. I’ve started a list of things that I’m going to try and do to this lathe.
- Clean and degreased – I’m planning on scraping off almost 80 years of grease and grim that’s completely coving this tool.
- Paint – If I’m going to clean it, I might as well paint it.
- Motor – Not sure whats going on with the motor, but when I switch it on, it just hums. So I have to spin the fly wheel by hand to get it started. Once its going, it runs fine. But its a little sketchy putting my hand that close to moving parts.
- Drive belt slips – Any type of roughing cut stalls the spindle. The belt is leather, and looks like its original.
- Change gear – I’ve got some gears, I need to dive into them and see what I’m missing and find replacements
- Powerfeed – Only works in reverse, which is nice for me, since I’m left handed. But forward would be nice as well.